Thursday, October 18, 2007

the latest gossip from coronation station

So as it turns out, Bret has discovered a much unused gift: carpentry. He's a whiz putting furniture together, using tools, figuring out how things work, and installing. We have a new track light system in the office that we got for super cheap at B&Q (think Lowe's or Home Depot), and we're gonna get more. Today, after a another furious day of calling people and sending out my resume, I will go to B&Q to get a tree and some fresh soil. Unfortunately, my Parsley and Cilantro have died. But I am determined to develop a green thumb. I have placed 4 mini arecas on the living room window sill, and the mint and basil are still going strong.

We got the carpet steam cleaned yesterday because it was rotting, and the steam cleaner told me that the water was the color of our coffee table (the darkest, deepest brown you can imagine). I am not sure if the cigarette smell is gone, though, because now the house smells like dirty carpet chemicals. In any case, it looks much much better.

This weekend, we will install our blinds. We plan on doing thick venetians in our bedroom and the dining room, and bamboo in the living room. Soon, we hope to paint the walls, and in a few weeks we'll have our muted-chocolate couch from Argos.

I wanted to have a party for halloween, but the house will not be ready yet. So we're gonna wait and have a Thanksgiving party. We're calling it: "Making Peace with the Enemy" Party. We'll serve traditional thanksgiving food (I've already found an amazing Martha Stewart cranberry chutney) and invite all the Brits. In the meantime, we can only invite one couple at a time every weekend. This weekend, we hope to invite the Alexanders for some Butternut Squash soup, minty lamb lasagne, and poached pears for dessert.

I promise, pictures will be on the blog this weekend. You see, I write from the town library cuz our internet will not be working until tomorrow.

No comments: