Tuesday, October 2, 2007

A better day

Good evening friends! We have sorted out our financial woes! Goodness, moving to a foreign country is so complicated.

But it's no fun to write about our troubles, and I imagine that it's even worse to read about them. Let's talk fun times.

I have started running again because it's nice and cool (some days not so nice and really damn cold, but for the past few days the weather has been lovely). We get lots of exercise just living in Durham cuz we have to walk everywhere, and the hills are quite unforgiving, but we need purposeless exercise, too. I just listen to my running podcast and follow the instructions. It's pretty easy so far, interval run and walk, so I'm using it to build up my speed.

We have also been doing a bit of cooking here at temp house number two. They have a gorgeous modern kitchen, so it's a pleasure to concoct our culinary delights here. Last nite, Bret made Andouille sausage with Red beans. Tomorrow, I will make steak or lamb. I don't know about you all, but Bret and I love "hominess." While we love to go out to the pubs and have a good time at a fancy restaurant, it's so cosy to cook a good meal and listen to music. We really miss playing boardgames. And we are so excited to have potted plants. Bret's into herbs (pronounced HHHHerbs) and veggies, and I'm a flowers kinda woman. MMMM, soon enough we'll have a home.

And soon enough, we'll be writing about our travels. Once we settle into our home, we will start taking day trips around the country. And in several months time, we'll be able to hit up other countries. Our first stops will be York and Edinburgh. Oh, and London, of course. Harrods, here we come!

4 comments:

A.J.A.M.S. said...

Sounds like things are looking up! It's been fun reading your blog! Sorry we missed the wedding, but we heard it was beautiful! Have fun!
Love, Jenni (aaron and aja)

Larry Lehmer said...

Glad to hear things are looking up. Andouille and red beans. Yum! Surely they have board games in England, Dump the Yanks or something like that. Does Bret have a landline phone number at work? And what about e-mail? Careful with those cobblestones.

Unknown said...

Hey dad,
Yes, I do have an office phone number that you could probably reach me at cheaply:
+44 191 3343773
Also, my new email address is b.d.lehmer@dur.ac.uk
but you can still reach me at my old email at PSU.

Unknown said...

There's the Claudia I'm used to!! So happy to see things are getting better for you. I see you still have your love for food!! LOL