Saturday, August 25, 2007

We Found the Treasure!!


Good morning friends! I am currently lathered in Calomine lotion because I got bit all over my arms and legs by some creatures (mosquitos? fleas? sea lice?). Unfortunately, the lotion is not working...oh well, it's the downside of being an explorer. Let me tell you what we did yesterday.

We started off the morning by going to our gym in Marathon Key. It is a very complete gym for a semi-decent price, and best of all: we are the only ones in it! Well, yesterday I did see an elderly lady walking on the treadmill, but generally speaking, it's empty. I worry about these types of non-touristy businesses in the keys. There is a health food store in Big Pine, and I've never seen anyone in it. There is also a Yoga studio which I plan on visiting at least once. I have never seen any cars parked in the Yoga studio spots...

After our gym fun, we decided to do a geocache. Now for those of you who don't know what that is, you can check out www.geocaching.com . Basically, it's a treasure hunt in which you use a GPS unit to find the cache. The "treasure" is nothing special: just a box with trinkets and a little notepad for you to write in. The whole point is the journey. There is usually a clue and you must use your sharp senses and wits to figure out where the cache is hidden.

So we looked online (you can do this too; they are all over the world) and found that there are three chaches in No Name Key. We decided to try the hardest one. And on the website they suggested we take a kayak to the coordinates. So we rented a kayak on Big Pine, and started paddling. It was awesome! First of all, Bret did most of the paddling (he likes to lead, and I like to relax, so it works out quite well). Second, the water was gorgeous. We saw fishies and coral, and I could have sworn that I saw a sting rey, but I tend to imagine a bit sometimes, so this is in question.

After half an hour of strenuous paddling on Bret's end, we tied the kayak to an old rickety dock. There were crabs everywhere and it was probably 100 degrees. I was basically drinking my own sweat. We searched the place, the clue being: "Above Ground". But it was tricky, because there wasn't really any ground as we were in a mangrove field. Bret was about to cut through the vicious mangroves to check out an old bucket which looked like a potential cache, when he got a eureka moment to check under the dock itself. Bingo!!! An old thermos was tied to the bottom of the dock. We had found the cache!!!

We kayaked back to Big Pine after signing the cache-log, and walked home.

That evening, we decided to hang around the area and go to Boondocks where we ate Filet Mignon and Lobster tail, a yummy key lime pie, and I had a Pinatini. When we finished, we played some mini golf, and I beat Bret 52 to 55. We would have played again, but it was scorching, and my creature bites were killing me. Instead, we went home and watched The Beach, which has inspired us to investigate traveling to Thailand.

Must go now. We want to find a nearby bar that has a pool, too.

No comments: