Monday, April 14, 2008

a paycheck a click away!

Well folks,
I have sold my soul to the devil- my blog now generates income. Every time you click on an ad, I get like a buck or something. So click away!
Because I am trying to make a few extra bones, I'd put up a slightly anachronistic blog entry: the atrocious rental. I had actually written that one long ago when we were at Coronation House. So to clear up any confusion, "How to decorate an atrocious rental" does not pertain to our new home (as you will soon find out).

Now, on to bigger and better. Bret and I have had our first proper Newcastle weekend- and it was fab.

The fun started on Thursday when the Durham kids came into the toon for some dinner and a gig. About 8 of us went to "A Taste of Persia," and what a taste it was! I had a glorious lamb shank that fell right off the bone. The waitress told me I looked Persian, which made me feel very exotic indeed!

After our meal, we had some drinks at Rendez Vous, which is a new very colourful bar. I do not recommend it, though, because they do not have much selection. We were, in fact, planning on hitting The Long Bar, but apparently, there was a gang fight, so they temporarily closed it down.

To end our night, we went to the Academy and listened to Passenger, who played a very good show.

On Friday, we were planning on hitting the Ouseburn pubs, but it was raining very hard and I had 'homework' to do. You see, I lead a monthly book group, and I hadn't finished the book! So I had to stay in and read, but it was a nice change for a usual Friday nite.

On Saturday after my book group and a bit of shopping (usual pasttime here in the city- too much temptation), Bret and I made a simple pasta dinner with fennel salad. Then we walked over to the movie theatre. We had forgotten that going to the movies in England is a wee different than it is in the US. In the US, Bret and I like to check out what time the movie is playing, then if we have some time, we go to the bookstore and browse and then go to our movie. But here in the UK, bookstores close at 5, so while you wait for the movie, the only thing to do is drink. This is not convenient, because drinking makes us sleepy. We were really missing our Barnes and Noble days while we sipped our gin and tonics, but after walking around a bit, we discovered a lovely tea house open late and had some herbal infusions. Finally, it was time for our movie: 21. It was really entertaining! Spacey plays an excellent villain, Bosworth looks beautiful, and the main actor does a really great job.

But Sunday was the most fun because we started our new gym! It is amazing and really cheap. Just 44 pounds a month for our joint membership (which is excellent round here). And the gym is huge. It's in the shopping district of city centre, in a mall called Eldon Square. There is tons of equipment, lots of fun classes, courts, and we even get access to the pool! Bret lifted weights while I did a 'tone and stretch' class. I am now so sore from not working out in 5 months! But it's gonna be great.

That nite, we ate at Eye on the Tyne, a very nice restaurant with ok food. The rain had finally ceased and the river was like glass. After dinner, we walked around in the peaceful dusk, and went home to curled up on our couches with our Horlick's chocolate malts. We watched Brick, which I got from our blockbuster delivery service. Good times...

No comments: