Saturday, September 8, 2007

Honeymoon Part Deux: good eats, bike riding, and violent robberies

Peops, it's been awhile, I know. Bret and I have left the keys and we have been inhabiting the SoBe condo. It's a tough life, really. Waking up at our leisure, and going for a morning dip in the pool. Then eating a hearty breakfast from Wild Oats, the local organic grocery supply. After, we do our exercise for the day: either hit the downstairs gym, go for a beach jog, or bike ride around town.

After this strenuous morning, we choose a location for lunch. We have eaten at the Gourmet Carrot (a Jewish Kosher hotspot), a German restaurant, and the yummy cuban market next door. Sometimes we shop after. Other times, we hit the ocean waters. In the evening, we either cook delicious steaks with aioli, or go out to eat. Our most delicious dinners have been Pascal's on Ponce for our Miami Spice venture (lobster bisque, a fancy mini-Bouillabaise, and the best tiramisu ever) and Shoji, the most amazing Japanese food we've ever had. We ate tuna ceviche, lobster-mango sushi, and an assortment of eel rolls and different carpaccios from the sea. HIghly recommended.

This morning, however, started off a bit differently. As usual, Bret and I got up and ate our breakfast. But he decided he wanted to rollerblade. So he rented a pair (I already have a pair), and we went downstairs to put them on. Suddenly, we hear the most fearful cries coming from the street.

"Heeeeelllllllppppp!!!!!! Sooooommmmmeeeeeeoneeeee caaaaaaalllll theeeeee pooooliiiiiiiice!!!!!!"

It was horrible.

Being the rubberneck that I am, though, I flew towards the action. But I did not have my key with me, so I could not leave the apartment area. I had to go back and get it.

When I did, I saw the victims. Miraculously, they were not hurt.

Apparently, they were having a garden plot meeting across from the apartment, when suddenly a man tries to rob one of the garden plotter's cars. The owner of the vehicle runs out to stop him, but the robber tries to run him over!!! The victim is taken around the corner on the hood of the vehicle and the robber gets out of the car and attacks him with a crowbar. The victim dodges the hit and grabs his car. The robber runs off, unsuccessful.

After hearing the good news that no one was hurt, I went for a rollerblade (Bret is still working on his blade moves, so he stayed in the parking lot), and when I got back, I saw the security guard staring out into space, wide-eyed. I smiled at her, but she said that with the violent morning, she was too scared to even get some food next door.

At least we're in good hands...

No comments: